Saturday, April 22, 2006

Thank You For Smoking

Paul and I went to see Thank You For Smoking last night. It's brilliant. Clever, funny, and it was ok to hate Katie Holmes! OK, well not really, we must pity her for getting knocked up "by" Tom Cruise. But I did feel like her character would have been cast differently had the movie been produced in the 90s. They introduce her character by going on and on about how great her "tits" are, and quite frankly, I just don't see it. She does have that perpetually young look to her. Plucky young reporter with big doe-eyes who can seem naïve while still exuding the go-getter, altruist, and slightly twisted qualities that they were going for. But I think, had this movie been made in the 90s, they would have cast this character with someone just a bit sleeker, less round (not that round is necessarily a bad thing!), and little edgier. But overall Katie did a great job.

I've never seen any of Aaron Eckhart's other movies so I don't know what he's generally known for (Or if he's not really known for anything) but I think he did a fabulous job as the main character. I think the stars (the celestial ones) were aligned in terms of him being cast, the writer and screenwriter, and the directing to let him pull off such a likeable asshole. The people from House need to take notes.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home